The countertop is one of the most used, but often the most neglected part of the kitchen. Not only does it provide multiple functions to homeowners, it also carries a big weight in the overall look and feel of a room. Additionally, a well-built and attractive countertop can enhance the value of your home and attract potential buyers.
It is, therefore, important to keep your kitchen countertop clean and in top shape at all times. Especially for soapstone countertops which need regular upkeep, you need to make sure that they are cared for.
How do you do this then? Simple. Carrying out effective countertop maintenance measures should be among your top priorities. Make sure that you do regular checkups and repairs for dilapidated or old worktops.
From our extensive experience doing countertop repairs, let us share with you the top things you need to know about countertop repair and maintenance for soapstone.
Countertop Repair Tips
Scratches, bruises, chips – these are some of the things your countertop can get if handled improperly. While having any, or all, of these may sound devastating and you may be disheartened and feel hopeless, there are still many ways to salvage your precious worktop and restore it to its former glory.
- For scratches on soapstone countertops, you can fix this yourself. You just need to sand them. Use a 60 grit sandpaper pad first. Do this lightly and in a circular motion. After this, do the same using a 100 grit sandpaper then a 220 grit. Wipe off the dust that have accumulated and apply water or mineral oil to bring back the color. Lighter scratches can do with a little water or oil.
- For bruises and chips, you will need to call your reliable countertop repair man. A bruise would need some sanding and polishing just like scratches but involves a more intensive process. While a chipped piece would need to be pinned back to place using epoxy or copper pins, depending on the size of the broken piece.
- If the countertop is damaged beyond repair, then you definitely need to have a new one installed, and for this a trustworthy countertop repair expert is the one to call.
Countertop Maintenance Tips
To always keep your countertops in good condition, regular maintenance is needed. And one very important part of maintenance is cleaning.
- Make sure you clean your countertop regularly. Just use mild soap, water and a sponge. You don’t need any strong detergent or cleaning agent to keep it clean as soapstone is resistant to bacteria. In fact, you should avoid using heavy duty cleaners as it may damage your countertop.
- It is also important to wax your countertop at least twice a year. This will give the countertop its ‘new’ polished look and will allow it to keep its vibrant color. If you want your countertop to develop that patina though that will naturally develop throughout the years, you can omit the twice a year waxing and only treat it when you feel it needs a bit of polishing.
- A good looking soapstone countertop once installed can be the gem of your kitchen or your restaurant’s open bar. However, after years this may grow to be a nuisance if it is not cared for. Proper maintenance and a good countertop repair is necessary to always have a functional and striking worktop in your space.
For countertop services, including countertop repair and installation, you can trust US Legacy Co. Contact us at 866.573.9517 and let us help you always have the best countertop for your home or business.